Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Week 2: Deception

I know that Kelly named week 2's study "Lies", but as I am looking back at my notes and answers to questions I am realizing that for me the tricky part is not the straight up lies, but instead the deception.  On day 2, Kelly asks us to share what we think is the difference between lies and deception.  For me, I think the main difference is the planning.  In my opinion, it takes a lot more careful planning and intelligence to deceive someone.  Lying is easy, but deceiving takes skill.  This is why, for me, deception is more dangerous.  Deception usually entangles truth and lies to make a recipe where the lies are hard to detect and therefore, easier to believe.  On the same day (Day 2), Kelly asks us to identify a situation in which we have been sucked into the deception.  I would love to hear what you girls put here.  Maybe in knowing each others' struggles we can hold each other accountable and be more deliberate about speaking the truth to each other in these situations.
For me, I am aware that there are characteristics in me that do not reflect God's heart for His people.  The two that I feel like God is targeting in this specific season in my life are selfishness and pride, but Satan is equally aware of these weaknesses in my life, and he often prevails in mixing this truth with the lie that these things can't be changed...that this is how I grew up and now it is too late to change the way that I am.  I know this is not true, but Satan has such a sneaky way of getting me to believe it when I am not even aware that I am doing it.  Please pray for this deception in my life, and let us know where yours are so that we can all pray for and encourage each other!
Love you all!

PS....where are you all in the study? 


4 comments:

  1. I just finished week 3 and I am about to start week 4.

    My deception is being stuck in certain situations. For example, I believe (which is a lie) that there are certain events and situations that can not be changed. The one that comes to mind is my job. I feel stuck and that there is nothing that can be done. But what really is going on is that God has not opened the new door for me and that he has a plan that is bigger then I can imagine. I have to move past the lie and stand on His truth and wait (which is the most difficult part). i know that no matter what happens or where I go that I am where is supposed to be because God wants me there.

    I also have the same deception as Taylor. Selfishness. I have realized this summer that I have not fostered my relationships with my friends well. I have been very busy with work and taking care of myself and planning the wedding, that I have not made time for my friends. My heart is heavy because of it. My selfishness is over taking my world and my work is becoming an idol. Who would have thought that driving around watching life guards would become an idol. I think I use work to be an excuse for laziness sometimes too. I would love prayer as well.

    Just so you all know... I have had 3 job interviews in Forsyth county this summer. I have ask Katie to pray for this and now I am asking you all as well. I want God to open a door for a job only if he wants me to be in that position. There is a principal that wants to hirer me, but no position that fits my qualifications and passions. If you could be in prayer for that I would LOVE it.

    Thank you ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at you speedster! :) I just finished Week 2 and am starting Week 3.
      I will definitely keep your job search and idols in my prayers, and that God would put on your heart how He wants to use your gifts and talents. He definitely has big plans for you...we just have to listen out for where!

      Delete
    2. PS...this says week 2, but I really meant week 3! lol! I lose all track of time in Costa Rica. Plus it doesn't really help that the first week of my book has come apart, so now I am just using it as a bookmark! So...rewrite...I just finished Week 3 and am starting Week 4, and this whole post is about Week 3! I hope it makes more sense now! Love you girls!

      Delete
  2. Hey everyone! I know I've been absent on the blog, but good news, I have been doing the study part. Like Taylor, I am beginning Week 4! My goal is to do a better job of posting as I go along for the remainder of the study. Starting now, so here goes... :)

    Before I begin to answer some of the above questions, I want to share one thing that happened to me as I was completing Day 2 (Wk 3). In the beginning Kelly asked us to list the three things that attracted Eve to the fruit from memory. I wrote the first two quickly, and then got stuck for a second on the third. As I checked back and then finished the list, I noticed that the characteristic I forgot was "emotionally appealing (pleasing to the eye). I thought this was interesting, because if I'm being honest, this is the attraction that has the strongest pull for me and that I feel the most weak against. I don't think that happened by accident as Satan always knows...

    As far as my response to the difference between a lie and deception I wrote: Lies lack all truth, but deception has some truth to it. Deception has just enough truth to cause us to misbelieve/misinterpret the facts.

    One of the struggles I have is my tendency to worry about my health. I often worry that if I become sick, it will end up being something fatal. I worry about this because I know the things I would miss on earth that I would like to see (i.e., Cooper growing up, a chance to be married), but I am learning to trust that God has promised me a good future. Heaven will be perfect without any illness or heartache.

    Taylor, I really like what you said about Satan knowing our weaknesses and using them against us, because I know in my life he totally does. I think sometimes people are uncomfortable talking about Satan like he's real, but he is real. We have to be on guard to ward off his attacks! Thankfully, God is a perfect protector! Also, I loved what you said about being deceived to think it's too late to change our habits, because it is such a lie! It makes me think of the song "Beautiful Things." (I'll post the lyrics in my next post.) While we are definitely not in the changing business... we know someone sovereign who is!! How grateful I am to God that He changes us and makes all things new! (Isaiah 43:18&19)

    Shannon- Speaking of new things, it's not too late to hang with your friends!! I'd love to get together with you! :) Maybe we can schedule something soon... And, on a more serious note, I will definitely pray for you and God's will for your job (and life). Sometimes, when the waiting is hard and I really want things to go my way instead of God's way, I find comfort in praying, "God help me to want what you want in _______."

    Ladies, I trust that God is growing each and every one of us as a part of the perfect plan He has designed for us all. What an honor to be able to have our individual paths connect up so we can share our journeys together! :)

    ReplyDelete